Friday, October 06, 2006

You Are a Super Hero

Have you ever noticed your super powers? You may not have. This is because you have come to take them for granted. You think you are ordinary or possibly less than ordinary. Your children don't see you as ordinary though.

One of my favorite things to do is to show up at my daughter's school and surprise her for lunch. Thirty minutes in her daily social environment is a chance to peer into her world that I'm not regularly a part of. I sit back and become a "fly on the wall" at her lunch table, as she carries on with her friends as she would normally. It is these moments that I see my super powers that I would otherwise take for granted.

I am Super Mom as far as she is concerned and she is so proud of me that she brags about me to anyone who will listen. My mom can do this. My mom made this. My mom does that all the time, etc., etc. I have heard her do it on countless occasions, so much so, that I wonder if her friends get tired of her bragging :) However, every time I witness this I am amazed and reminded that in her world I am her super hero. With that revelation I realize I have no choice but to succeed at being the best parent and person I can be. If her personal super hero fails her, what is left for her to believe in, place her hope in, and place her trust in? My daughter believes in God, and in Jesus, and in salvation, but here, on earth, tangibly, I am (in a way) her deity. Think of it in those terms and you may better understand the cost that comes with accepting defeat as a single parent. If the God you placed your faith in turned out to be a failure/phony, how would that translate into who you are or what you believe in? Would you believe anything anymore? The same applies here. As a parent, you are a super hero or a God figure in many ways to your children. You cannot accept defeat. You cannot fail.

On those days when I may not see, feel, or recognize my super powers, I put myself in the environment of my daughter so I can be quickly reminded of how she sees me. Her faith in me renews my "super powers" and gives me the strength to press forward and to not lie down and accept defeat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home