Friday, October 13, 2006

Cut it Out!

How many times have you heard that before? Growing up with two older brothers, I know my mother must have said those words countless times to us kids. I hear myself using those same words with my daughter, and I am going to use them here as well.

Cut it out once and for all. What am I referring to? The negativity. Your tongue is a powerful sword in your life and you must use its power wisely. From this point forward stop yourself whenever you are about to say anything that is negative, or anything that confesses less than victory for you. Some common thoughts and statements you may hear from single parents that you must consciously decide to never utter or think again . . .

"I've been through so much."
"You just wouldn't understand."
"My life is so hard."
"I just don't know what I'm going to do."
"I don't get any help."
"I'm just a single mom. I can't do that."
"I can't get a better job, because I have no experience (or schooling). All I know how to do is raise my children and keep house. Nobody would hire me."

It is very easy to fall into the trap of thinking these things, and saying these things, but that is exactly what it is . . . a trap! You think these things, you say these things, and then you believe these things, and become these things. Assuming you do not want to be victim to such a trap and such a limited life, I am telling you now that the first thing you must do is CUT IT OUT. When you find yourself around others who think or talk negativity into you or about themselves, put a stop to it immediately. Your victory is YOUR choice. The first step in that choice is to remove the negative and limiting thoughts and statements from your mouth and from your ears. Do not allow doubt to enter your mind or to come from your speech. Doubt is nothing more than a dark cloud that will suppress you, oppress you, and depress you. What good are you as a parent if this is the person you allow yourself to be? What are you teaching your children when they hear you make doubting, negative, or limited statements?

So, right now, from this point forward, CUT IT OUT. Just like cancer, the doubt and negativity will spread quickly and take over if you do not cut it out, and cut all of it out. Unlike cancer, no matter how badly the doubt and negativity has spread, you can cut every last bit of it out quickly and painlessly. Make a decision today to cut it out!

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

Mary's two cents: Should the situation ever change and a single parent becomes a not so single parent the negativity you just described can follow because it becomes habitual if you let it go. Negativity is a horrible marriage killer and intimacy destroyer. It is also very easy for children to pick up on those attitudes and become so much less than what they were destined to be because of something as simple as "venting". If it isn't going to build, inspire or somehow edify, it probably isn't worth saying...I'm preaching to me too.

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home